3/18/13

By Chance


I had to be pretty brave today. I had to be my own advocate and ask for something on which my heart was already set. Everyone wished me good luck. I knew some of their wishes were laced with knowledge of the thorn in my side from another time, about a year ago, that being brave didn't work out so well for me. A time when I felt neither fairness nor luck were on my side.

It was raining as I walked to my car, as it tends to do on important days. I loaded my bags into the passenger side, and as I closed the door I saw a wet and muddy and horribly scratched penny on the pavement. It was heads down. My karmic superstition, while disappointed, told me to turn it over and leave it behind. Today was not to be my lucky day, but someone else's. Life's not always fair.



During the day I did what I had to do and I spoke my piece, and I ended the day feeling just fine. It was raining even harder on my drive home, but I found street parking right by my building. I unpacked my bags from the car, and as I closed the door and I saw a wet and muddy and horribly scratched penny on the pavement. It was heads up.

Life's not always fair, but I guess sometimes we can make our own luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment